What is penecillin
Any of a group of broad-spectrum antibiotics obtained from Penicillium molds or synthesized; they have a beta-lactam structure. ( Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-penecillin )
More Answers to "What is penecillin"
- Penicillin treats bacterial infections, such as gonorrhea, which is a male oriented malady. Combating bacterial infections. most infections, ear infections, strep throat, tonsilitis, cut in your finger and such It should definatley not be w...
- Bottom line is that it kills bacteria, and if you don't take it as prescribed, the bacteria will become resistant to the antibiotic. If you want to know more, read on. Penicillin is an antibiotic, actually the first antibiotic to ever hav...
- Penicillin is defined as a group of natural or semi-synthetic antibiotics derived from fungi strains of the genus Penicillium. Generally, all penicillin share a three-carbon, one-nitrogen, and four-member cyclic amide structure, known as th...
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- Q: who was albert alexander and why is he still remembered?what was the big incentive to mass produce penecillin in 1941?why did florey and chain start mass producing it in the usawho was mouldy mary and what part did she play in the penecillin storyhow were chain fleming and florey rewarded for thieir workwith the development of penecillin, everyone thought the battle against bacteria had been won. why were they wrong?
- A: Reserve Constable Albert Alexander (c. 1873 – 15 March 1941), the first patient to be treated with penicillin.During World War II, penicillin made a major difference in the number of deaths and amputations caused by infected wounds amongst Allied forces; saving an estimated 12-15% of lives. Availability was severely limited, however, by the difficulty of manufacturing large quantities of penicillin and by the rapid renal clearance of the drug necessitating frequent dosing. Penicillins are actively secreted and about 80% of a penicillin dose is cleared within three to four hours of administration. During those times it became common procedure to collect the urine from patients being treated so that the penicillin could be isolated and reused.This was not a satisfactory solution, however, so researchers looked for a way to slow penicillin secretion. They hoped to find a molecule that could compete with penicillin for the organic acid transporter responsible for secretion such that the transporter would preferentially secrete the competitive inhibitor. The uricosuric agent probenecid proved to be suitable. When probenecid and penicillin are concomitantly administered, probenecid competitively inhibits the secretion of penicillin, increasing its concentration and prolonging its activity. The advent of mass-production techniques and semi-synthetic penicillins solved supply issues, and this use of probenecid declined.Probenecid is still clinically useful, however, for certain infections requiring particularly high concentrations of penicillins.The chemical structure of penicillin was determined by Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin in the early 1940s, enabling synthetic production. A team of Oxford research scientists led by Australian Howard Walter Florey and including Ernst Boris Chain and Norman Heatley discovered a method of mass producing the drug. Florey and Chain shared the 1945 Nobel prize in medicine with Fleming for this work. Penicillin has since become the most widely used antibiotic to date and is still used for many Gram-positive bacterial infections
- How long does penecillin take to make any difference?
- Q: Hi all! I have tonsilitis (age 18, rugby build) and grabbed some penecillin from the docs today. Roughly any idea how long I have to wait before it takes effect?Also - if I can be cheeky - is avoiding alcohol a definate? Ta!
- A: 85% of all sore throats are viral and are thus unaffected by any antibiotics. They are self limiting=go away on their own. Of the remaining 15% which are bacterial statistically the average effect of antibiotics is to reduce the illness by no more than 24 hours.Overall a patient with a sore throat will get better in a few days on antibiotics, a few hours more quickly than he would have done without them!Good news there is NO interaction between penicillin and alcohol.
- Would 250mg tablets of penecillin work to get rid of a UTI?
- Q: I have about 10 250mg tablets of penecillin left over from wisdom teeth surgery, and I just started noticing the symptoms of a UTI, complete with a tiny bit of blood in the urine.Would the penecillin be effective in treating the infection?
- A: It would maybe start to treat it, but you do not have enough for a full course, therefore it would come back and good chance of being worse.. You are better off going to the doctor and getting a new prescription and usually they will give a sulfur type antibiotic. more effective.
Prev Question: Can you cure type 2 diabetes
People also view