What is niacin
Niacin is an important B vitamin that may raise your HDL, "good," cholesterol. It is also known as vitamin B3. ChaCha on! ( Source: http://www.chacha.com/question/what-is-niacin )
More Answers to "What is niacin"
- In a terse manner, niacin (aka - nicotinic acid or vitamin B3) is used in the human body to form coenzymes - NAD & NADP - two very important components that are involved in energy restoration. A deficiency of niacin causes a disorder, p...
- Niacin is a member of the B family of vitamins (B Complex).
- Good for your health, niacin is a white crystalline acid, C5H4NCOOH, that is a component of the vitamin B complex found in meat, wheat germ, dairy products, and yeast and is used to treat and prevent pellagra. Also called nicotinic acid.
Related Questions Answered on Y!Answers
- How much Niacin does it take to clear drugs from your system?
- Q: Im trying to keep my system clean but still be able to smoke every once in a while, like every couple weekends? But i don't know how much Niacin it will take to get me cleared of the drugs? And how long it will take!
- A: BTW good question:May I email you a few things that will offer some help in this area? I didn't just want to without your permissionPhy/21 years
- Is niacin plus a lot of Water and Cranberry Juice enough to Detoxify your body?
- Q: If I start taking 100 mg(or a higher doesage) of niacin plus start drinking ALOT of Cranberry jucie and water for around 1 week enough to cleanse your body of THC. I AM trying to pass drug tests but I have approxiamtley 1 week or more before i am tested.
- A: No, it will not help to clean THC out of your system and aside from the water, that's not going to detox at all.Niacin is a simple B vitamin that gives a "flushing effect" to your skin... not to your body. It makes your skin turn red (it makes your skin flush) because it helps with circulation. It won't burn your intestines (unless you're highly allergic to it), especially in that low of a dose... but it might turn your skin bright red.Cranberry juice just helps to make your urine a bit more acidic so it can help to cleanse out a Urinary Tract Infection... it doesn't specifically detox your body.
- Is a niacin flush good for any conditions?
- Q: Those familiar with niacin will know it causes a powerful "flushing" reaction, a warm, tingly, sometimes very itchy sensation all over much of the body if you take a large enough dose, due to the niacin dilating the capillaries. Aside from what niacin is good for(lowering cholesterol, among other things), is the flush good for any conditions? I have heard some people recommend it for dry skin, since it will increase circulation to the skin due to the dilating of the capillaries. Anyone know anything about this?
- A: One of my guru's who was a Dr. Rammurit S. Mishra, M.D.(he was a published author)said that the flush indiciates that the niacin is reacting with your anatomophysiology at its optimum when the flush occurrs. For a number of years(way back when) I was on a medically prescribed dosage of 9 grms.(1,000 mlgs.) and the same for Vit.-C daily for a few years; the term for this type of medical modality is popularly known as "Mega-Vitamins", and is clinically, professionally referred to as "Orthomolecular Medicine - here's a link:http://www.orthomed.org/ My understanding is that an equal amount of Vit.-C should be taken with that of the Niacin. There is a form of Vit.-B-3(Niacin=Vit.-B-3 essentitally)termed Niacinimide, biochemically which does not produce that flush and is suppossedly equally as effective as the Niacin. I would caution you against the unprescribed usage of Niacin without medical supervision; as I recall, it can be harmful to the kidneys if not taken with an equal amount of Vit.-C. Sorry couldn't answer your specific question - "is the flush good for any conditions" - but thought the above comments and link might be helpful. TAKE CARE, and good luck, Alberich
Prev Question: What is a good sinus medicine
People also view